Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Old dog...new tricks...

So today, I had my first 7th grade math class. They were reviewing long division. Well, I have never been that great at this particular concept in math. I always adopted the trial and error method when dividing numbers above 1 digit. :)

Well I learned quite a lot while sitting in this lesson. The teacher was able to explain it in a way that made sense to me. They do not use the same algorithm that we use in America and this one makes so much more sense. It is based on a system of estimating and using mental math. I may need to take this one back with me to America and teach it to some of the teachers there. It helped A LOT!

So you are never too old to learn. I ended up trying to race the students to get the correct answer. Looking forward to doing some tutoring and helping in this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAILING ADDRESS:
Fishnet s.r.o.
Shelly McMullen
Husova 9
702 00 Ostrava
Czech Republic

Check out my Flikr for more photos!