Monday, April 12, 2010

The Call

The missionary heart:
Cares more than some think is wise
Risks more than some think is safe
Dreams more than some think is practical
Expects more than some think is possible


~Karen Watson: a young Christian worker,
lately murdered in Iraq because of her bold service to the Lord.

I have talked to so many people who have asked why I am moving to another country to teach students English. Am I excited about the wonderful opportunity to live in another country? Sure! Will I take full advantage of my surroundings and see many wonderful historic and breath taking sites? YES! But my reason for going is higher than that.

Two years ago, God started me on a journey toward a call. I made my first trip to the Czech Republic in December of 2007. I went with the intention of spending Christmas with a most beloved friend, because I knew she would miss being with family. My motives were purely selfish and to be honest I was excited about a vacation to Europe.

My second trip to Prague was more of a calling. God called me to prayer walk around the city in July of 2008. I spent two weeks wondering around different parts of the city lifting the people up in prayer. God gave me insight into the true needs of these people. This is when my heart opened up to a people who had been told what to do for so many years and simply wanted their own freedom. Their religion is dead. They are proud and religion is for the weak.

God showed me that He wants to breathe life into this nation. A freedom that comes not from lifting oppression, but from desiring a life giving relationship with the one who has never left their sides.

His love for us in unfathomable! I was listening to David Crowder's How He Loves Us tonight in my car. His love is endless and is not bound by what I do or any of my short comings. Sure there are things that I do not do, but that is out of love for my Savior, not because I am bound by 'rules.'

I am moving to another country because I love HIM! He has called me and I will answer. I want people to know this God that I love so dearly, and to feel His love as well! I would be scared to death to go without Him. But I know that He is with me and has called me here. I am exactly where HE wants me to be, and my friends, that is AWESOME! :)

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you. I'm proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone, for making the most of your "singlehood", and not being afraid to tackle a new language.

    We are praying for you and love you.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going on and on about your beautiful photos and wonderful writing and Mark said, "you should tell her because it would mean a lot coming from an English teacher to a math teacher". You are a very articulate woman. You should definitely "journal" your trip. Write a book with your photographs and entries, and then sell the book to raise money for whatever God has as your next task for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see how God will use you! You have my prayers, friend!

    ReplyDelete

MAILING ADDRESS:
Fishnet s.r.o.
Shelly McMullen
Husova 9
702 00 Ostrava
Czech Republic

Check out my Flikr for more photos!