Monday, February 8, 2010

Who, What, When, Where...


Prague Castle overlooking Charles Bridge and the Vltava River in Prague, Czech Republic.

I am going to teach in the Czech Republic.

In recent history the Czech people have overcome the invasion of the Nazis and Communism. The last thing they want is more rules and traditions to abide by. On one of my flights back from Prague, I got to have a conversation with a Czech girl. She commented: "To be a Christian, don't you have to follow a lot of rules?"

The Czech Republic is 59% professing atheist. Among the younger generations belief in one’s self is the major thought. They believe in positive energy, a kind of karma. If you do good things, then good things will come to you. 

The religion that is in the country is very ritualistic and dead. Huge cathedrals have become museums and stops on tours around the city. People flock to buildings to pray to statues of Jesus and the saints. They find hope in relics and traditions. They do not have a relationships with the living God.

I am going with Educational Services International (ESI) to teach the English Language to students in the Czech Republic. 

I ask for your prayers as I build relationships with the nationals. Pray that I will be a light. The power of prayer is the greatest tool I can be armed with to go into the world. "Pray continually." 1 Thes 5:17. Such a simple phrase that is full of so much more.

To be apart of ESI I need to raise support. Please pray about how you can be involved in prayer and financial support. I am trusting the Lord to provide all the money I need. Prayerfully consider being a part of my mission by giving.



2 comments:

  1. The Czech People don't want or need your religion, they've done just fine without it. The Czech people were the most welcoming and friendly people I encountered in Europe, and they have a great sense of humor about themselves that has carried them through their harsh history. Maybe they have good reasons to have turned away from faith, and you have no right to go there and shove it down their throats. If you really want to help someone, go somewhere that people are dying from starvation or lacking basic needs. They'll listen to your God BS if you give them they basic necessities they lack, but the Czechs are going to laugh at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. # 1 I am not bringing them religion. I am bringing them a relationship with the One True God! And #2 You can not snuff out the call of God on my life to bring His good news to the nations. Even people who have everything they need, still need a Savior.

    ReplyDelete

MAILING ADDRESS:
Fishnet s.r.o.
Shelly McMullen
Husova 9
702 00 Ostrava
Czech Republic

Check out my Flikr for more photos!